Acquittal: Toronto Man Found Not Guilty of Violent Assault at Wasaga Beach Trailer Park

Toronto, Ontario – A Toronto man has been acquitted in a case involving a violent assault at a Wasaga Beach trailer park two years ago. Justice Enno Meijers handed down the verdict to the accused, Gary Costa, during a virtual court session in Collingwood on Monday morning. Meijers expressed doubts about Costa’s involvement in the incident, citing a lack of conclusive evidence linking him to the assault.

The three-day trial, which took place in Collingwood in March, centered on allegations that Costa, 42, had assaulted his neighbor in the trailer park in late July 2022. The victim suffered severe injuries, including a brain bleed, injuries to the eyes, and facial wounds. Costa denied any involvement in the attack, and his defense team argued that there was insufficient physical evidence to prove his guilt.

During the trial, Costa maintained his innocence, stating that he never laid a hand on the victim. His lawyer, Allison Cormie-Bowins, cast doubt on the credibility of the victim, alleging inconsistencies in his accounts of the incident. The defense highlighted the victim’s history of dishonesty, substance abuse, and violent behavior, questioning the reliability of his testimony.

In delivering the acquittal, Judge Meijers acknowledged that the victim had indeed sustained injuries but could not definitively attribute them to Costa. The judge found Costa’s testimony to be plausible and raised doubts about the victim’s version of events. He emphasized the lack of concrete evidence linking Costa to the assault, leading to the decision to acquit him.

The prosecution had argued that Costa’s actions were fueled by anger, alleging that he had brutally attacked the victim in a fit of rage. However, the defense contended that there was no animosity between Costa and the victim and that the victim’s recollection of the events was unreliable due to potential impairment from alcohol and pre-existing brain injuries.

Surveillance footage presented during the trial showed the victim in an intoxicated state, stumbling and falling, further complicating the narrative of the events. The defense pointed to the victim’s medical history as a potential factor in his injuries, suggesting that his condition may have been a result of past head trauma and alcohol-related issues.

Ultimately, Judge Meijers concluded that the evidence presented during the trial did not establish Costa’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, casting doubt on the victim’s credibility and recollection of the alleged assault. Costa was thus acquitted of all charges, bringing an end to a legal battle that had lasted for two years.