Dallas Quadruple Homicide Ends in Suspect’s Suicide

DALLAS, TX – A disturbing crime scene unfolded in Dallas, Texas, when a man suspected of a quadruple homicide, including a toddler, took his own life during a high-speed police chase. The suspect, identified as 21-year-old Byron Carrillo, was also believed to have injured a 15-year-old girl during the shooting spree at a Dallas home.

According to law enforcement authorities, following the shooting on Sunday afternoon, Carrillo fled the scene and subsequently hijacked a vehicle. A few hours later, a Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) trooper spotted a car matching Carrillo’s description on Interstate 35 in Austin, 200 miles south of Dallas. The trooper attempted to stop Carrillo, but the suspect tried to evade capture, crashing into a concrete barrier. Carrillo then fled on foot, eventually ending his life with his weapon in a nearby parking area.

Upon their initial response to the shooting at the Dallas home, officers were met with a horrifying scene. Five victims had been shot; three adults were found dead at the scene. The other two victims, a one-year-old boy, and a 15-year-old girl, were immediately transported to a local hospital. Tragically, the young boy did not survive his injuries, while the teenage girl was treated and subsequently released. It was also reported that a 13-year-old girl was present in the home during the shooting but managed to escape unharmed.

The Dallas County Medical Examiner’s Office later identified the deceased victims as one-year-old Logan De La Cruz, 20-year-old Vanessa De La Cruz, 33-year-old Karina Lopez, and 50-year-old Jose Lopez. Court records revealed that Vanessa De La Cruz had previously been involved in a romantic relationship with Carrillo. Carrillo had been indicted on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in 2021 after threatening both Vanessa De La Cruz and Jose Lopez with a firearm.

Adding to the case’s complexity, Carrillo was under court-ordered surveillance and was required to wear an ankle monitor. However, he had allegedly removed it either immediately before or after the shooting. Additionally, investigators discovered that Carrillo was living near the scene of the crime, residing in a house next door to where the shooting took place.

The motive behind this brutal shooting is still under active investigation by the Dallas Police Department. Spokeswoman Kristin Lowman stated that they are working tirelessly to piece together the events leading up to the deadly incident.

There were minor discrepancies in the spelling of the suspects’ and one of the victims’ last names between the police and DPS reports and court records. However, these discrepancies are expected to be resolved as the investigation continues. The Texas Rangers, a division of the Texas Department of Public Safety, will be handling the investigation into Carrillo’s death.