THC Found in System of Terry Hughes Jr. During Fatal Shootout with U.S. Marshals in Charlotte

Charlotte, North Carolina – A recent toxicology report revealed that Terry Clark Hughes Jr., the individual involved in a fatal police ambush in east Charlotte, had THC in his system at the time of the incident. The report showcased that Hughes sustained 12 bullet wounds during the shootout, with injuries located in various parts of his body, including his arms, thighs, back, buttocks, and shoulder.

Hughes, who was wanted for a firearms-related offense in Lincoln County, about 30 miles northwest of Charlotte, was confronted by law enforcement officers from a U.S. Marshals task force on April 29. Tragically, the confrontation resulted in the deaths of four officers and injuries to four others. Among the deceased were CMPD Officer Joshua Eyer, U.S. Deputy Marshal Thomas Weeks, and North Carolina corrections officers Sam Poloche and Alden Elliott.

Court records unveiled Hughes’ extensive criminal history in North Carolina, which included a conviction for breaking and entering in Person County in 2010. He served a six-month sentence before being released in 2011. In June 2012, Hughes was arrested in Alamance County after a high-speed chase where he eluded law enforcement at speeds exceeding 100 mph. Subsequently, he spent nearly a year in prison for various offenses, including possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and speeding to elude arrest.

In May 2021, Hughes was detained by CMPD on multiple drug charges and for fleeing or eluding arrest with a motor vehicle. Despite his arrest, records indicate that he was released from custody shortly thereafter. The toxicology report shedding light on the presence of THC in Hughes’ system provides additional insight into the circumstances leading up to the fatal shootout in east Charlotte.

As the investigation into the incident continues, authorities are working to piece together a clearer picture of the events that transpired. The revelation of THC in Hughes’ system adds a layer of complexity to the case, prompting further scrutiny and analysis. With details emerging about Hughes’ past encounters with law enforcement, the case underscores the challenges faced by officers in volatile situations like the one that unfolded in east Charlotte.

Moving forward, the community awaits further developments in the case, as questions linger about the sequence of events and the factors that contributed to the tragic outcome. As authorities delve deeper into Hughes’ background and the circumstances surrounding the fatal altercation, the impact of the incident on law enforcement practices and procedures remains a topic of ongoing discussion in Charlotte and beyond.