Cops say parents ignored trapped 10-year-old autistic daughter until bed frame crushed her neck

Authorities say Cecilia Cross could not unzip the enclosure or escape before the frame pinned her.

PINE RIVER, Minn. — A specialized bed meant to keep a child safe during sleep is now the central evidence in a murder case against the parents of 10-year-old Cecilia Cross, authorities in Minnesota said.

Heather Lynn Cross, 50, and Darcy Ronald Cross, 57, are accused of second-degree murder after prosecutors said Cecilia died inside a broken safety bed at the family’s Pine River home. The upgraded charges allege the parents caused the death without intent while committing felony child neglect and endangerment.

The bed was an enclosed structure with a canopy and frame, according to investigators. Police said Cecilia and her older sister, who also has autism, slept in similar safety beds because their parents said the girls had sleep disorders and could leave ordinary beds. The enclosures could be zipped from the outside, preventing the children from getting out on their own. In the amended complaint, authorities said Cecilia was “unable to unzip the covering” and unable to leave the bed. Investigators also said the child was nonverbal and had pica disorder, a condition that can involve eating nonfood items. Heather Cross told police Cecilia could pull trim from walls and eat sheetrock.

The question for investigators became how a bed described as protective became the place where Cecilia died. Police said the canopy frame had detached and appeared to have been broken before Aug. 25, 2025. The four vertical metal poles were not properly secured, according to earlier court filings. Investigators said that meant the metal cage above the mattress was not safely held to the frame. A technician connected to the bed supplier told authorities the posts appeared to have been broken for some time. The manufacturer had offered assistance with repairs, police said, but the parents declined help.

Authorities said the failure turned fatal after Cecilia was left in the bed for hours. Heather Cross told investigators she gave Cecilia milk and medicine sometime between 4 a.m. and 6 a.m. and then went back to sleep. Darcy Cross said he later went outside to mow around noon. Police said neither parent checked on the children until about 4:30 p.m., when Cecilia was found unresponsive. Darcy Cross told investigators the girl’s head was pinned under the metal frame, with her neck caught between the wooden frame and the canopy structure. First responders found Heather Cross performing CPR, but officers said Cecilia showed signs she had been dead for several hours.

Investigators also examined how the beds were being used. Experts cited in the court papers said the children could use the beds at night for safe sleep, but they should be allowed out during the day. Police said the beds were instead used for daytime confinement. Days after Cecilia’s death, investigators returned to the home and found the surviving sister zipped inside her bed in the middle of the day. A social services worker later told Heather Cross that the bed enclosure for the surviving child could only be used at bedtime for sleeping, according to earlier filings. Police said Heather Cross reacted angrily and ordered the worker out.

The condition of the room added to the evidence prosecutors say shows neglect. Officers reported an overpowering odor of feces and urine. Feces was on the floor, walls and canopy, and the room contained no furniture other than Cecilia’s safety bed, according to investigators. Heather Cross told police the condition was normal because Cecilia was a “fecal painter.” She also described Cecilia and her sister as “escape artists.” Investigators said the parents’ explanations did not change the duty to supervise the children or maintain equipment used to confine them. Police described Cecilia as an “extremely high-needs” child and said she was left unsupervised for 10 to 12 hours at times.

The case began as a manslaughter prosecution after the parents were arrested in September 2025, almost a month after Cecilia died. Prosecutors later added one second-degree murder count against each parent. The homicide theory does not accuse the parents of planning to kill Cecilia. Instead, it alleges her death happened while the parents were committing child neglect and endangerment. That distinction matters because it raises the possible stakes while still relying on evidence about care, supervision, the broken bed and the parents’ knowledge of the danger. Public reports did not show whether the parents had entered pleas to the new counts.

Prosecutors also added four counts of wrongfully obtaining assistance by false statements, concealment or impersonation. Those counts involve state support for Cecilia and her surviving sister. Investigators said the surviving daughter’s functioning after she entered protective custody was much different from what Heather and Darcy Cross had reported. The amended complaint says alleged overreporting of the child’s needs led to payments through the MnCHOICES program that exceeded $20,000 per year from 2022 through 2025. That program is used to assess Minnesotans for long-term support services. The fraud charges are not a direct cause of Cecilia’s death, but prosecutors included them in the broader case.

The surviving sister was taken into protective custody on Sept. 17, 2025. Heather and Darcy Cross were arrested the following day. The home, on County Road 1 in Pine River, is about 150 miles northwest of Minneapolis. The case is pending in Crow Wing County, where an omnibus hearing is scheduled for Aug. 3. That hearing is expected to set the next path for evidence disputes, motions and trial planning.

Cecilia’s death now turns on what prosecutors can prove about a broken frame, the use of a zipped enclosure and the hours before anyone checked on her. The safety bed remains the object at the center of the criminal case.

Author note: Last updated May 22, 2026.