Terror: Teen Allegedly Stabs Sydney Bishop Over Religious Dispute

Sydney, Australia – A teenage assailant allegedly stabbed a bishop at a western Sydney church in what authorities are deeming a “premeditated act of terror.” The incident, which unfolded overnight, captured the attention of many after a surfaced video showed the attacker’s alleged motive.

The disturbing attack took place at the Christ The Good Shepherd Church in Wakeley, where religious leader Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel was reportedly stabbed multiple times while delivering a sermon. The entire service and subsequent assault were livestreamed online, causing shockwaves across the nation, coming just days after the stabbing murders of six individuals at Westfield Bondi Junction.

Footage taken after the attack revealed the 16-year-old suspect’s chilling demeanor as he smiled and taunted individuals trying to restrain him, all while speaking in Arabic. In the video, the teenager blamed the bishop for interfering in his religion, stating that if the bishop had not spoken about his prophet, he would not have carried out the attack. The teenager’s actions and words, including what some described as an “evil grin,” sparked outrage among those present.

According to translations reported by The Guardian, the teenager’s remarks and behavior after the stabbing shed light on a possible religiously motivated motive behind the assault. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese addressed the incident, labeling it as a disturbing act and emphasizing that violent extremism has no place in society.

NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb classified the attack as an act of terrorism, citing its religiously motivated nature and its impact on public intimidation. Following the confrontation, which was witnessed by parishioners both in-person and online, political, community, and religious leaders have called for calm in the wake of the incident.

Amidst rising tensions in the city, leaders are urging the public to refrain from resorting to violence or taking matters into their own hands. NSW Premier Chris Minns emphasized the importance of abiding by the law and allowing authorities to conduct a thorough investigation into the incident. As investigations continue, the community is grappling with the aftermath of yet another violent act that has left many shaken and seeking answers.